Latin Dance (Latin american dance) are deeply rooted in the culture of Latin American, where they are treated not only as entertainment but also a way of expressing emotions, a therapy, or an outlet for strong feelings.
It is also a sport competition – 5 dances comprise the International Dance Programme presented at dancesport competitions, shows, and are performed as social dances during elegant balls, exclusive events or parties as well as discos and other entertainment events. Latin american dances mostly originated from the hot climate of Cuba and Latin america. They are danced by amateurs and professionals, competitively and recreationally. Latin dances include: Samba, Cha-cha-cha, Rumba, Pasodoble and Jive.
Latin american dances are romantic and sensual. Apart from that, they are also characterised by dynamic moves and vigorous music.
Even though each dance has its own style, rhythm and music, they all have much in common. Latin american dances originated as a synthesis of various cultures that had been mixing in latin america since the 16th century.
• Samba – very rhythmic and vigorous, full of sophistication and imaginativeness, often interpreted as two lovers flirting, trying to get attention and impress each other.
• Cha-cha-cha – is a dance full of joy, fun and play that was created as a result of the influence of jazz and swing on Cuban rumba. It originates from Cuba and is rooted in rumba and mambo.
• Rumba – called the dance of love and passion. A ritual full of emotion-filled, violent, and sensual moves of the arms and hips is accompanied by slow Latin music.
• Pasodoble – a Spanish dance full of tension, during which the dancers portray a matador’s fight with a bull – the corrida with violent, dramatic movements and flamenco elements.
• Jive – related to rock and roll, boogie-woogie and swing; a fast and joyful dance with a large amount of quick and short kicks, accompanied by a very rhythmic and heavily accented music.
The only official world governing body representative of Dance Sport and Wheelchair Dance Sport in the world is World Dance Sport Federation (WDSF).
The Sport Federation which unites national sports federations operating in the Dance Sport discipline and GDSF cooperates with.
Dance Sport is a discipline recognised as a sport by International Olympic Committee (IOC), International Paralympic Committee (IPC), SPORT ACORD, World Games Association (IWGA) and International Masters Games Association (IMGA).